Saturday 12 February 2011

Just a post

I should really update this more. But it's hard to come up with things to write about every day. Let alone every week. So I guess I'll ramble on about what's been keeping my interest in the news lately. At the moment it's the government Vs the European Court of Human Rights on prisoners right to vote.

When I first saw this story start in the paper months ago I thought to myself "Prisoners being able to vote? That's not going to ever happen." Anyone who thinks otherwise is just stupid. Well... it's understandable to think they might, after all the ECHR has pushed the government into doing a lot of things. I find it a little bizarre that it's prisoner voting that they put their foot down on. I mean it's just prisoners, they're not going to vote anyway even if you give it to them. Well some might, but the majority wont. A lot of people already don't vote and they're not even behind bars. But tangents aside I found the story interesting, just to see it develop. and shock horror, the government doesn't want prisoners to vote either.

So what does this mean now? Overly excited newspapers like the daily mail and the Exspress seem all excited for the UK to get kicked out of the EU. It made me laugh when the Daily Mail wrote that David Cameron "is also expected to announce within weeks that the Government is setting up an independent commission to draw up plans to rebalance human rights laws by creating a new British Bill of Rights."
Oh bless, they would love that wouldn't they? They really would. To make a British Bill of Rights so that we can give the middle finger to the ECHR and tit off to happy UK land. If true then it's nothing more than a political middle finger. Because I guess politicians are just as immature as 12 year old school boys. I wouldn't be shocked if this turned into a political 'who has the biggest dick' competition, which would of course end up with someone being the metaphorical bitch.

Yeah, this is why I like reading about certain political things, I like turning the subtext into squealy little cat fights in my head. It amuses me. I blame it on my love of Hetelia. 
But where is this silly little fight really going to go? Is it really that big that it deserves any attention? that draws me to my second favorite story of this week. The news that Indium has been discovered in wee old Cornwall, which is slowly circulating the papers at the moment. You just wait, keep an eye on this story. Because I predict that should that sweet little mine in Cornwall really deliver the mother-load of the metaphorical gold mine (as well as literal, there's real gold too...) will be the slut of headline news soon enough. and you wait, if it  does than The Daily Mail and the Express will join hands and dance around in circles in glee, because it'll mean the UK wont need the EU anymore. yeah, there's nothing sweeter than the worlds "ultra rare natural resource." Or better put, economical jackpot. I like this story because it means yay, mining industry for Cornwall. Yay, the UK will finally have a good resource to export worldwide rather than just to the EU and Ireland. And yay, relaunch of first and second industry's to the UK bringing lots more jobs, giving the UK even more stuff to export! Yaaaaay! But we'll see yet I guess. But still, watch out for it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment