Wednesday 15 December 2010

Golden sun: Dark dawn, A first impression

I admit I haven't completed the first two golden sun games. In fact, I never really got far in the first golden sun, I played the second one. Which is by far one of my most favorite games, even if I didn't complete it. Golden sun was epic. It had a beautiful magic system, a simple battle system. A giant map, complicated dungeons and puzzles. The world seemed vast, and it was a game you could always play and find new things you didn't spot the first time around as you unlocked new abilities.
So now a sequel has come out, and I of course grabbed it up in my grabby hands. I haven't gotten far, only to the first proper dungeon. So I thought I'd give a first impressions on the game. This opinion may change as I get further into the game, but we will see.


First of, the first damning thing about the game is the plot. It's really bad that they had to force a quest on us. Yes force. Remember in the original golden sun the stupid magical maguffin gets stolen and it's your job to find who did it and stop alchemy being let lose upon the world as we know it? Or in the second game, where you are thrown off a lighthouse but you still preserver to light up all the other light houses because the world is rotting? Well guess what you get to do in this golden sun as your epic quest of all time! Get a Roc feather because your retarded friend broke the flier which he knew you needed to go visit the mystical shrine to see why the magic vortex's were appearing and the world was changing still from the events of the first two games. Yeah, sounds pretty epic doesn't it? No, it sounds very very forced. this is not how to begin a story! While yes I can see there is going to be a build up to making the world better and stopping the vortex's and what have you. It's pretty lame to have us going roc feather hunting. there's no urgency, no epicness. No real duty, except to the characters parents. and while I want to appreciate that it's trying to perhaps be subtle, going slow and then pounce us, it is still a lame reason to get the characters out there. They could have at least broken the flier in a more inventive way other than Mathews BFF is a complete immature dick.

then there is the difficulty. While I can't really comment that much because I've only gotten to the first dungeon, the first thing that caught my eye while playing this is the game presumes its players are a little bit thick. For example, I go into a room and unlock the grapple ability. The room changes so you have to swing across to get a key stone to open the gate at the bottom. The moment you pick up that key, it pans down to look at the gate as if to say "Durrrr! Here is where the key goes you idiot, it's not like you couldn't of just walked down there yourself and figured it out." and I wouldn't mind if this wasn't the only time. there are puzzels, and not all of them are easy. But it's really irritating when you get something like that and the game feels the need to tell you the answer, even when it's obvious. Maybe it'll get harder and I'm just nit picking. There is one puzzel I haven't meant to done where a Djinn is up on a place I can't get to, but I can only presume I will get an ability later which allows me to get up there. the previous golden sun's did that. Torment you with sights of a Djinn which you couldn't get until later on in the game. but it didn't matter because you were likely to go back to the same spot later anyway.

*sigh* and the dialogue is a bit... bad too. maybe it's just beginning dialogue which is a bit expositiony, even though it doesn't need to be because you can click on certain keywords and the game will tell you the history and such. it even has an assault course where it tells you the entire back story of the last two games which was fun. So I don't see why it had to be so obvious with it. telling you stuff you already knew.

but this is just the start of the game. I suspect it may get better after it has stopped letting new players who don't know the joys of the previous two games get the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment