Sunday 27 March 2011

The news

I'm debating whether or not to continue to read the paper. well... the online stories. Because I don't read the paper. I get it second hand off their website. The news seems so very hysterical as of late. Me and my friend was discussing whether or not things have gotten worse lately in the world. there seems to be so many terrible natural disasters. But then again maybe media coverage these days has gotten so much better that you simply just hear about every single one, instead of the really bad ones. Or maybe we don't know if they did or not, simple because we wern't reading the news ten years ago.
It's all rather depressing. Japan, Libya, New Zealand. Things happening in other places where you can not really make a difference. Your opinion or your efforts wont really make a difference. We're just insignificant blops on the map and the news is never going to affect us.
I mean, I actually tried to get excited over a story about Falmouth and how it wasn't going to get a larger dock because of some Algae. I tried so hard to feel like this was important, and affecting me. but it doesn't. I don't come from Cornwall, the long term affects of this doesn't affect me or anyone I know or anyone in my family. the least I can do is feel a little supportive for Falmouth. Simply because I understand why a larger dock is important to Cornwall, just in the same way I know the air strikes in Libya are important to protect citizens. Doesn't affect me or anyone I know, but it's happening.
I did get more into the wikileaks thing and the student protests. Mainly because I agree with free speech, no matter what the form, and I'm a student, thus student protests are important to me. But still didn't get involved... But I have to respect the passion that those students have. I wish I had a similar passion sometimes. But when given the chance to go down to London for the day I thought "naw that's going to end badly" and passed on it.
I like to think I'm an optimist, but maybe I'm a pessimist, or just a predictamist. Seeing I'm reasonably good at calling things before they happen. IDK... the world is a complicated place. and you wonder sometimes where you stand in that world. Maybe this is why the Daily Mail is always full of people stories, because they know that people like to hear that other people matter, because it might mean they matter. Maybe only a little bit.

1 comment:

  1. The Truth Wizard3 April 2011 at 19:59

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete